Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How I celebrated Republic Day

This time I'd thought of doing something Indian on Republic Day. These days 26th January has turned out to be 'just another holiday' for many people. Thats because life's so hectic. People work for 10 -12 hours in India with no time for themselves, their families, their hobbies.

Life's been taking me away from all things that I like and I am left doing all those things which don't really excite me! This is creating a lot of resentment within me. Hey, this is not what I was supposed to write........ Oh, yeah.... I wanted to do something which I like to do and get into the flavour of India on Republic Day. I'd resolved to get up early and go for flag hoisting ceremony in our bldg compound. I wanted to wear something very Indian and display a small Indian flag on attire. With dreams in my eyes, I went to sleep... my throat was feeling a little scratchy when my eyes closed for the day.

Yawn ! There goes the alarm ! I am supposed to get up, pray then go for flag hoisting! But heck, my throat, my face.... it feels swollen. My chest is filled with cough. My body's warm. I need rest. I will get up by 8.00 am at least and make it by 9.00 pm for the flag hoisting. I close my eyes.

I am awake yet not awake. Okay, enough. I gotta be out of bed. My resolution gotta be met. I am a strong girl. I get up but I am half ill. I am feeling low, so I'd better wear something to hide me, not highlight me! My Dad, who's organising the stuff was already down. My Mom was excited and wanted to be a female Santa. So she went with a bag full of chocolates to distribute to kids!

I get into a normal casual salwar-khameez and dash down with my sister by 9.30 am. Hey, the flag hoisting and speeches just got over. People were having snacks now. Mom looked excited with kids flocking to her! I nudge my sister to act normal and go for a morning walk just to show we weren't the last to arrive and our aim was much more than this. So we go for a walk...... and return quickly. We pick up some goodies on the way for breakfast!

I am already low by the time I come back home. I am getting the flu. I'd better rest. So wat if I couldn't watch the tri colour being hoisted. I still have the whole day. There might be programs at places which I can be part of. Telling my Mom not to cook nor expect me to, we decide to order from outside so that I can be free to go out!

I finally get into my khadis late afternoon though the cold is getting to me now. I'd picked up a pure cotton brownish skirt and a yellow khadish cotton kurti. And I wanted to wear it coz nothing cud be more Indian than this! And a brown stole over it. Perfect! My sister doesn't seem to like it! But I always like to look different every time and this one gave me an artistic feel!

So off we went to Raghuleela, the Mall which is nearby. Actually there's a place called Village there, which is based on the theme of Indian villages. Had heard a lot about it. We thought of checking that out. There you can enjoy the feel of Indian culture and even apply mehndi (henna). Today was the perfect day, we thought, to get the feel of India.

We shopped a bit. Downed a cup of coffee to keep my cold in check. We asked on the 1st floor for Village. Finally we figured out that it was a restaurant, where food was served Indian style. There is an Indian village ambience and some cultural show is also held. We went there only to know that you pay a lumpsum amount at the entrance and have unlimited access to food and programmes inside. But if food was the main thing, then we were in no mood to eat. Especially with my cold and it was too early in the evening for a heavy meal. So we thought of checking that out on a later day, when my youngest brother was in Mumbai (he works and studies in Pune). He's a foodie and good company.

We shopped for a few cards also and decided to call it a day. I smelled coffee again. I decided to go for a Cafe Mocha before moving out. The weather was affecting me more. And I needed another hot aromatic coffee.

Finally we were out of Raghuleela with a coffee in my hand.... homewards bound.... It was late evening.... surely this was not 'just another Republic Day' though it was not exactly the way to celebrate it. Anyways, I had the feeling in my heart. That's more important and hence why I ventured out inspite of bad health. Its a different story that in the night I had high fever due to overstress and the following days were hectic in office and I couldn't take a day off inspite of cold and fever.

No comments: