Sunday, February 08, 2009

Luck by Chance


I watched 'Luck by Chance' today, not by chance tho'. Had been hearing good reviews about the movie, so checked it out myself. It's an amazing movie. Realistic, non-typical Hindi movie fare, yet neither dull nor too preachy. The film doesn't have any dull moments, which some non commercial movies have at times. It's purely about Indian Cinema, the people in front of and behind the big screen, their aspirations, their hard work and how finally luck does the trick!

It talks about opportunists in the Film Industry, who do not look back as they move towards fame and glamour and sucess. Success spells 'new friends, newer relations....', all aimed at earning more success in the Industry. It talks about how it is easier for star kids to be launched even with lack of talent, while the more talented keep waiting unless of course, you've luck by your side. It also shows the diplomacy, the manipulations, the glamour, the grime and the two-faces of most people in the Film Industry .

Farhan Akhtar is an amazing actor and has played the opportunist actor who starts from scratch well. He acts effortlessly and ends up charming all. Konkona SenSharma, is definately a good actress and plays her role of a hard-working and hopeful struggler well . The movie moves around these two characters and has nearly half the Industry making an appearance.

The film is excellent and worth a watch. Still haven't watched 'Slumdog Millionaire' (SM). Many people have stated that it's better than SM, tho' I yet to watch the other.

5 comments:

sk said...

Shagufta, I liked your idea about movie reviews. Wish I could see all the latest movies, like the way I used to do once upon a time. I remember coming out of one cinema hall and enter another one near VT. Also G7 was one of my most visited destinations in Mumbai. Now the only movies I manage to see is through the Satellite TV, if I do get time. I managed to see "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" in Fame, when I visited India in December. I realized, I was watching a movie in a cinema hall after almost 3 years, and I liked the movie.
So, it would be great to get some reviews about movies worth watching ,so that I can watch them when I do get time.
Also, do write some reviews about books read by you recently.

Danny said...

Hey Shagufta,

With all due to your knowledge,,, dont you think Farhan Akhtar is over rated.
Rock on worked coz of the novelness and concept (the same director of rock on`s debut movie was Aryan which bombed)...

Shagufta said...

Thanks Sk, for your suggestions. I'd loved to write about movie reviews. But the problem is that neither do I get time to watch movies nor the time to write much. Too bogged down with work. Haven't read a book in ages! Seriously need a break!

Shagufta said...

Dayanand, I still haven't watched Rock On. Didn't get time. But going by my younger brother's reviews, it was an excellent movie with cool performances from the actors. And I trust my younger bro's reviews. As for Farhan, I've watched him in Luck By Chance and found him to be a natural actor with lots of charm and potential in serious cinema.

sk said...

Shagufta,
A couple of days back,I finally managed to see this movie, on my flight to Mumbai. I must say, I too liked the movie. I do agree with you about Farhan Akhtar. Yes, he really seems to have lots of potential. I also managed to see Rock On, and that too I liked. Waiting to see more of him in future....