Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Stones of Kashmir - my July 2017 trip


I made a small attempt to bridge the misunderstanding about Kashmir by going on a trip during trouble times. I was faced with sarcastic comments about bringing back stones. I wanted to, because I love challenges, however my baggage was over permissible limit already. So I bought back this picture of a stone studded wall.


And when I was back from Kashmir and showed pictures of the place, the people, the videos and the momentoes for them, every thing changed. Everyone seemed eager to go there. People suddenly had good things to say. My staying with my friend's family was an attempt to show that its not just about tourists being left alone. I wanted to be a part of the culture and yet have my own identity there. I bought local clothes and stitched them in local fashion. Used local mehndi, though Mumbai mehndi cones are the best ðŸ˜Š. I could've stayed like a typical Muslim there as it comes naturally to me. However, I chose to be me. My city. A part of my land.

When I was going, some of my colleagues who know I m into Image Consulting, said that you're representing Maharashtra so choose your clothes well. So I tried to bring out the essence of Mumbai which is multi cultural and diverse, without being overtly shocking to the culture. Representing Maharashtra was an exaggeration and said in a lighter vein. When I told my Dad about it, he was like - 'Yeah, only Maharashtra doesn't know that you're representing it!' ðŸ˜…

Jokes apart, I am glad I managed to change perceptions on both sides in whatever way I could. I believe that if you are in an influential position, use that power to make a positive change.

Like I always say, my favourite lines continue to be Spiderman's : 'With great power comes great responsibility'. Who am I? I m Barkha Shaikh, as my sister has now named me ðŸ™ƒ

No comments: